Sunday, January 30, 2005

Now, the Hauppauge remote works in the console (using irw). The problem was that the lirc_i2c module was not loaded properly and the device created was /dev/lirc/0, not /dev/lircd... strange, but it works. [I wonder what /dev/lircd does...]

A note about the hadware of the project:
  • Motherboard is an A7V400-MX from ASUS. Great mATX board with integrated sound , LAN and VGA. Havent tried the VGA out in X, but the LAN worked out of the box with the via_rhine module and for sound I used the via82xx ALSA module. I never got the kernel ALSA to work though... enabled ALSA in the kernel and emerge:ed alsa-driver from protage with ALSA_CARDS="via82xx" in the make.conf.
  • The processor is a Sempron 2.4 GHz. Updating the BIOS to name it properly was trickier than I imagined..
  • For TV in, TV out and remote, I will be using the hardware on the PVR-350. Nice card, once you get it to work.. :-)
  • Network cables is not something that I like. The thought was that I would use a Netgear WG311T wireless card (revision 1). This is supported with the madwifi driver, but I have not been able to get WEP to work. If someone knows how to get this, I would very much like to know. I had to inset a line into the 'start' portion of the init script in order to set the ESSID..
    /usr/sbin/iwconfig ath0 mode Managed nickname PVR channel 6 essid X

Now, it seems that, appart from WEP, the only thing remaining is configuring MythTV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home